The Oklahoma City Bombing: A Review of FBI Deception & Failure
You can read this story in issue #9 of garrison.: the Journal of History and Deep Politics
168 Pages. Issue 009 of garrison.: The Journal of History & Deep Politics features a cover story on the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing investigation by the FBI. Richard Booth uncovers the FBI’s failures-especially pertaining to John Doe #2-and takes the federal agency to task for its incompetence, half-truths, and lies.
In other articles, Caitlin Johnston looks at the dangerous reaction to internet censorship and Ukraine’s part in American imperialism; Ed Tatro investigates Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado” and the 1967 film Wait Until Dark; Susan Abernethy takes on three myths involving King Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves; Kevin Corley narrates part two of Moonshine Empire, his wonderful series on an era when the Prohibition Bootleggers, Organized Crime, and the KKK went to war; Robert Gettlin eulogizes Len Colodny and recounts the full story of how “Silent Coup” came to be; Jeremy Kuzmarov examines Barack Obama’s long family history with the CIA; Nick Cruse instructs the New Black Left to embrace MLK and reject Obama; Jonathan Cook dives deeply into the divide among the left with Glenn Greenwald as his focus; Meg Sherman criticizes the police state; S.T. Patrick examines the controversy of Hans Asperger and Nazism; and we look at the November 2021 UN Resolution to combat Neo-Nazism: what it said (full text), who supported it, who voted against it, and who abstained.
4. “Call to Reopen Oklahoma Bomb Case.” BBC Two, 2 Mar. 2007 <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/6275147.stm>
6. FBI 302 report. SA John Hippard. Interview w/ Billie J. Hood. 27 Apr. 1995. FILE #174A-OC-56120 D-3428
7. Oklahoma County Grand Jury #CJ-95–7278, testimony of Mike Moroz, September 15th, 1997; FBI 302 report. SA John Elvig. Interview w/ Mike Moroz. 21 April 1995, file #174A-OC-56120 D-68; “Man Who Says McVeigh Wasn’t Alone Testifies Before Grand Jury.” Rocky Mountain News, 16 Sept. 1997; Clay, Nolan. “Nichols’ jurors hear of McVeigh sightings.” The Daily Oklahoman, 14 May, 2004.
8. FBI 302 report. SA John Elvig. Interview w/ Allen Gorrell, 24 April 1995, File #174A-OC-56120 SubD-70 and FBI 302 report. SA John Elvig and OSBI SA Terry Wade. Interview w/ Byron Marshall, 24 April 1995, File #174A-OC-56120 SubD-760
9. Trammell, Robby and Nolan Clay. “FBI Downplays Man’s Account Of Truck Driver.” The Oklahoman, 16 Aug. 1995. Print. See also: Oklahoma County Grand Jury #CJ-95–7278, testimony of Mike Moroz, September 15th, 1997.
15. The State of Oklahoma vs. Terry Nichols, № F-2004–68 (District Court of Pittsburg County), Terry Nichols Motion to Dismiss Based on State’s Failure to Comply w. Brady vs. Maryland, April 12 2004.
16. Schneiderman 38–48.
18. Berger, J.M. “PATCON Revealed: An Exclusive Look Inside The FBI’s Secret War With the Militia Movement” Intelwire. Oct. 8, 2007; Berger, J.M. “Patriot Games: How the FBI spent a decade hunting white supremacists and missed Timothy McVeigh” Foreign Policy. April 18, 2012
22. Ibid. Note: the black-haired man with a German accent named “Andy” is widely believed to have been German national Andreas Strassmeir. Strassmeir was indeed socializing with the Texas Reserve Militia/Texas Light Infantry around the time Matthews says he saw him at the San Saba ranch with McVeigh. He was later kicked out of the group after some members strongly felt that he was an undercover informant or provocateur. Strassmeir’s story is a long one, for details concerning his time with the TLI/TRM see also the following sources: J.D. Cash. “FBI Says Strassmeir Was Government Operative.” McCurtain Gazette, 14 Jul. 1996; J.D. Cash and Roger Charles. “FBI Document Links Former Green Beret To McVeigh, Bombing.” McCurtain Gazette, 31 Aug. 2005.
Notes: The Wearne book documents the Whitehurst story in great detail.
Notes: The Jones book summarizes the Whitehurst/FBI crime lab scandal very well. Details concerning Whitehurst’s peers lack of degrees and qualifications were noted in this book.
28. Ibid, 281.
Notes: The Inspector General’s report on FBI crime lab is quoted verbatim in the Jones book. See the full report here:
USDOJ/OIG Special Report: The FBI Laboratory: An Investigation into Laboratory Practices and Alleged Misconduct in Explosives-Related and Other Cases (April 1997) <https://oig.justice.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/special/9704a/index.htm>
29. Ibid, 330.
30. Ibid, 281–282.
32. Ibid, 100.
33. FBI Lab Took Nearly Three Years to Analyze Terry Nichols Bomb Cache. Intelwire. 3 Feb. 2011. <http://news.intelwire.com/2011/02/fbi-lab-took-nearly-three-years-to.html>
35. Interview with J.D. Cash. The Scott Horton Show, 22 Jul. 2005.
39. Painting, Wendy S. Aberration in the Heartland of the Real: The Secret Lives of Timothy McVeigh (Kindle Location 1150). Trine Day. Kindle Edition.
41. J.D. Cash and Jeff Holladay. “Did ATF Expect Bomb Blast Earlier, Let Down Its Guard?” McCurtain Daily Gazette. 16 May 1996; Oklahoma Bombing Investigation Committee. The Final Report on the Bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. The Oklahoma Bombing Investigation Committee, 2001. pp 270–272
43. Ibid, p 342.
47. The Oklahoma Bombing Investigation Committee, pp 272.
55. C-Span BookTV appearance, Danny Coulson, Inside the FBI’s Secret Counter-Terror Force (1999). < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuRyfZLy8ew>
56. J.D. Cash. “Receipt Shows Head of FBI Anti-Terrorism Task Force in OKC Hours Before Blast.” McCurtain Daily Gazette, 21 Jan. 2002; “FBI Document Raises Questions About Prior Knowledge in OKC bombing.” News Radio 1000 AM KTOK in OKC, 17 Jan 2002;
61. The Conspiracy Files: Oklahoma City, BBC. 4 Mar. 2007.